Eligible applicants include graduating undergraduates, recent college graduates, career changers, and current teachers (without a master’s in education) who have majored in, or have earned significant college-level credits in, biology, chemistry, or mathematics. Other STEM majors may be considered.
In addition, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- demonstrate a commitment to teaching and learning and the HM Graduate School and its goals;
- have U.S. citizenship or permanent residency. The HM GS is not currently authorized to enroll international students; and
- have attained, or expect to attain a bachelor’s degree from a U.S. college or university or its international equivalent by the time of matriculation (Note: Undergraduate degrees earned outside the U.S. are accepted if an approved credential evaluator declares the degree equivalent to an earned U.S. bachelor’s degree).
“There is no one correct path to being a ‘good teacher,’ but rather a level of passion, understanding, and experience that enables good teaching.” | Jason Heitler-Kelvans, 2019 Graduate
Preparing Your Application
The HM Graduate School uses an online application portal that requires an account. There is no fee to apply. Once logged in, the online application includes basic personal and contact information, as well as places to upload and request your supplemental items. If you bookmark the portal, you can log in any time to make changes.
Required Supplemental Materials
- Essay: In 500 words or fewer, describe an experience that excited you about learning and discuss how it informs your ideas about education.
- The essay should be a .PDF and the title of the file should include your first and last name but not include spaces (i.e. SmithJohnEssay.pdf).
- Résumé: This is an important opportunity to showcase your excellence. There is no need to limit your résumé to one page.
- The résumé should be a .PDF and the title of the file should include your first and last name but not include spaces (i.e. SmithJohnResume.pdf).
- Unofficial transcripts: Unofficial transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions you have attended—this includes any institution that awarded credit for coursework—must be uploaded to complete your application.
- Once you enroll, you must have your school(s) issue official transcripts directly to the HM Grad School.
- Letters of recommendation: Please request letters of recommendation from two (2) recommenders through the supplemental item link at the bottom of your account page where you’ll be uploading other documentation. Advise your recommenders that they will receive an email notification directly from the High Meadows Graduate School.
- Letters cannot come from family members. If you are still enrolled or a recent graduate, please include at least one letter from a faculty member in your major content area who can comment on your academic ability.
- If you are a career changer, please include at least one letter from a professional colleague who can comment on your skills/knowledge in your field.
We are accepting applications for fall 2021 with fully-funded fellowships available. Admission will be granted on a space-available basis.
Once you’ve submitted your application, uploaded supplemental materials, and requested your letters of recommendation, you’re all set! You can track receipt of your letters of recommendation in the “supplemental items” section of your application. It is your responsibility to follow up with your recommenders to ensure that they have submitted their online recommendation.
You opened my eyes to an opportunity that I thought only existed in my dreams. 2018 Applicant
Change teaching. Change learning. Change the world.
What happens after you apply?
- Complete applications are invited to interview as the final step in the application process.
- If you have any questions about your application, email Marie Boggis.